As we mature, many of us are choosing to remain in our homes as long as possible rather than relocating to an assisted living facility. It is important for our safety and well being to do some planning to make sure our homes will support us over the long haul. Preventing falls is one of the most important reasons to consider making home modifications well before we think we need it. Just as we made our homes child proof with little ones around, now it’s our turn to make our homes safe for ourselves.
Some of the questions you may want to think about are:
- Can you comfortably move around your home?
- If not,have you considered or thought of any home modifications that can help you be more comfortable?
- Would you consider rearranging your home so the master bedroom is on the main floor?
- Would safety bars help in the shower? Near your toilet? Comfort height toilets?
- Is necessary storage easy to reach?
- Are the ways you get around free of obstacles like electrical cords? Or tripping hazards like area rugs?
- Home accessibility is important to ALL family members from toddlers to grandparents!
It never hurts to think about the future….and when one realizes that the AVERAGE cost of assisted living can be $ 6000.00/MONTH, making home modifications that will last several YEARS begins to make sense. Even if there is no immediate need. We are happy to help…..call us @ 858-453-1700 or email us at carol @carolspong.com. Member NAIPC
( National Aging in Place Council); CAPS ( Certified Aging in Place Specialist)1 certified. Full certification in process.